db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dan Scott <deni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: embedded derby -- does it leak
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:53:40 GMT
No conspiracy on the IBM side, I'm afraid, as exciting as that would be:

In http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0410prial/,
Jon Prial said:

"For our Cloudscape product, IBM will take snapshots of the Derby code
and provide full support as the IBM Cloudscape offering. You can get a
free download of the IBM Cloudscape code as well, and you can purchase
support for it from IBM, but we do not intend to charge a license fee
for Cloudscape."

And in the FAQ for business partners
(ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/pubs/cloudscape-partner-faq.pdf):

"IBM Cloudscape V10.0 and subsequent commercial versions will be
snapshots of a stable, rigorously tested release of the open source
software. Like the open source version, the commercial version will be
available at no cost, but will be certified for specific operating
system platforms and versions, and will ship and install with the
appropriate Java Virtual Machine (JVM) for each platform. The
commercial version will include an easy installer, but both commercial
and open source versions will use the same code base."

So it seems that the whole point of contributing Cloudscape to the
Apache Derby project was to develop the database in the open source
community.

Dan