db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWD] Feedback requested on Chapters 1 and 2 of Working With Derby
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:53:31 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Stanley Bradbury wrote:
>

>>Hi Dan -
>>Thanks for your feedback.  You are absolutely right that these first two
>>chapters are Getting Started Guide subjects and contain much to much
>>reference information for a quick start document.  I will abbreviate the
>>chapters to get the new user more quickly to SYSINFO and on to the meat
>>of the activities (Ch 3-7).
>>

>Why do you want to get the user to SYSINFO more quickly?
>
>I didn't intend to propose that at all, I believe people download Derby
>to execute SQL, that's what I believe WWD should be aimed at, getting
>the user to execute their first SQL statement as quickly as possible.
>
>Dan.

SYSINFO is used in the document to validate that there is a working
installation of Derby available to perform the activities.  Working with
SQL begins with Activity 2 in Chapter 3.  This will be available for
review next week.  Most of the reference information has been removed
and the newly revised chapters 1 and 2 will move people much more
quickly through the setup validation and on to the point where they are
executing SQL.