db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby db files get corrupted
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:11:49 GMT
Maciek wrote:

>Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@...> writes:
>

>>I have seen this error when I have deleted the database directory and
>>recreated the database, but not deleted the log directory. Could that
>>be your problem too?
>>

>Well, deleting log files helped. DB is working and the user claims no data is
>lost. Maybe adding a "repair tool" to my app that deletes log files could solve
>future problems of this.

This sends shivers down my spine.  Deleting the log files will certainly
resolve any recovery problems by removing any record that a recovery is
needed.  Kind of like killing the messenger.  The log files maintain the
databased integrity so the integrity is compromised by this procedure
and can no longer be guaranteed.  I would run CHECK_TABLE on the
database to insure that the table stucture and indexes are OK:

SELECT schemaname, tablename,
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CHECK_TABLE(schemaname, tablename)
FROM sys.sysschemas s, sys.systables t
WHERE s.schemaid = t.schemaid

If this shows no problems and the user has verified that all the data in
the DB is fine then there is a good chance the DB is OK but the root
cause of the problem has not been corrected.  See my previous post for
information on the common cause of this problem.