db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Sunitha Kambhampati <ksunitha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby with fast transactions?
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:36:26 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:

>Andre Höing <andrehoe@uni-paderborn.de> writes:
>

>>Hi derby-users,
>>
>>I am using derby to save lots of RDFTriples at starting time. This is a
>>little bit too slow for me.
>>Is there the possability to accelerate this. Bevore I used MySql with
>>the MyISAM engine. Is there a simular engine for derby, too?
>>

>Not a similar engine, but you can set a property (can't remeber the
>exact name, see the manual (tuning guide, I think)), that will let
>transactions commit without flushing the log to disk. Must be used
>with great care though, since you won't be able to do recovery.

The property is derby.system.durability=test
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tuning/rtunproperdurability.html

"While performance is improved, note that under these conditions, a
commit no longer guarantees that the transaction's modification will
survive a system crash or JVM termination, the database may not recover
successfully upon restart, a near-full disk at runtime may cause
unexpected errors, and the database may be in an inconsistent state."

Please evaluate if this property makes sense for your application or not
before using it.

Sunitha.