db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: is DERBY-854 related to the recently fixed issue with readonly databases and upgrade?
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:14:22 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Right... They look similar. I <b>guess </b>(haven't investigated
enough) this problem is different in that Derby has mechanism to
automatically recompile stored prepared statements under some
conditions. The recompiled plan is stored back, but this can't be done
for read-only databases. <br>
The problem I fixed earlier was attempting to "apply safe changes"
during soft upgrade. But this can't be done for read-only databases.<br>
Satheesh<br>
Mike Matrigali wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">Just looking at the stack trace in DERBY-854 it has the feel of the system
trying to do the automatic upgrade between point releases of stored
procedures on a read only db. It is a total guess at what it going
on.  Note all I did was read the stack trace
in the 854 and happened to remember the  description of the bug you
fixed - not even sure which bug it was at this point.

Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Mike, I missed your question... which was in the subject. The issue
fixed is different... It was about soft upgrade failing on readonly
database.

Satheesh

Mike Matrigali wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Alex Miller wrote:

      </pre>
        <pre wrap="">I think DERBY-854 (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-854">https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-854</a>)
is
critical for working with read-only databases in embedded mode.
Currently, the JDBC DatabaseMetaData methods are completely broken when
running in this mode.  Thus, read-only databases cannot work with any
tool that imports metadata (which includes most JDBC tools I'm aware
of).
Please vote for this bug if you would like to use read-only databases
        </pre>
      <pre wrap="">&gt;from a zip file.  My company would love to ship some example
databases
      </pre>
        <pre wrap="">in this way but have given up on Derby due to this bug.
Alex Miller
Chief Architect
MetaMatrix