db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <edson.rich...@mgrinformatica.com.br>
Subject Re: upcoming 10.2 release
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:02:48 GMT
I made a little research on JIRA, and my "Oscar" goes to:

DERBY-342: At least basic (like operator) comparision between long
varchar (and clob). IMHO, related to DERBY-472 (see bellow).

DERBY-396, DERBY-119: Alter table DROP/RENAME/MODIFY column, suporting
rename of column even if part of referencial integrity; drop column with
release of space; modify column from NULL to NOT NULL - if NOT NULL
specified and table has records, then a DEFAULT is mandatory. Besides
it's not too usefull in production database, it's a fundamental feature
for development and upgrading times.

DERBY-239: Non-blocking online backup. A must have for production
databases 24 x 7 x 365.

DERBY-84: allow using column aliases in ORDER BY and HAVING because the
column alias could be a complex expression (in reality, I think its a
new variant from DERBY-84). Unique database I know allow this is MSSQL
since 2000 version (in ORDER BY - not in Having). Allow simplify queries.

DERBY-533, DERBY-554: Is a basic must-have for latin american
developers/users for adoption.

DERBY-472: Full-text indexing could allow very fast search. IMHO, it's
DERBY-342 related (if we could make full text searchs over long
varchar/clob would be amazing!).

At finally, more usage examples (lots of them) for each DDL/DML sql
command. Sorry by comparision, but I find to much easier to read MS SQL
Books Online than Oracle manuals (I know, don't compare oranges with
apples, but I'm looking at developer vision - and more examples = more
valuable reading in majority of cases).

(if some of above is already fixed, sorry: I could not find this
information - version where fixed - in bug pages)

Best regards,

Edson Richter