db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Options for testing failover in a clustered environment
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:57:41 GMT
I got a request from a user who actually who  asked for an option to
automatically shutdown the database if there are no more connections.
Does anyone have any ideas how to handle the scenario below and
conditionally shutdown if there are no active connections?

>From the user ...

"We have run into an issue  where a simple test connection that
customers are used to will cause the database to be useless unless the
NODE is rebooted.  When configuring Failover, there was one option to do
a stand-alone where if the fist  node fails the second will take on,
Customers typically would test the connection on each of the nodes which
point to the same database.  This is failing today because after the
first test, and even though the connection is closed, the database can't
be accessed by the second node (JVM).  The  test connection GUI can't do
a shutdown since some other customers use it sometimes while
applications are running and shutting the database then will result in
breaking those APPS.

Please help, we have 2 defects from the test team on this that I am
reluctant to return as-designed, and I expect many coming from the field
as well."

Thanks

Kathey