db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Two good reasons to not post html-encoded messages
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:23:27 GMT
Reason #1 is sometimes html-encoded posts are unreadable in the Apache
mail archives at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/
. So turning off html mail also makes it easier to read archived posts.

Reason #2 just came up this week, and is why I'm posting now. Somebody
who tried to post to derby-user this week got back this rejection notice:

    Remote host said: 552 spam score (5.0) exceeded threshold

If you're having trouble posting, you obviously can't post to the list
to let us know,  :-) so I assume that more users might also be
experiencing post problems.

In this specific case, two SpamAssassin rules fired (among others as
well): HTML_10_20 (the message is 10% to 20% html) and HTML_MESSAGE
(message contains html). Info about SpamAssassin is at
http://spamassassin.apache.org/ .

So, if you're having any problems with rejections, one thing you can do
to reduce the spam score for a post is to turn off html mail.

How to turn html off is specific to the client. You might have a
configuration option that says "plain text". If you're using
Thunderbird, uncheck the box that says "Compose messages in HTML format"
under Edit -> account settings -> Composition & Addressing . The Jakarta
mailing list guidelines has tips for turning off html email in Microsoft
products -- see http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html .

If you still receive a rejection, feel free to forward it to me and I'll
take a look at it and see if I can figure out the reason.

regards,

  -jean