db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Specifying the Derby Database Location
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:03:16 GMT
Afkham Azeez wrote:

> Hi Folks, Thanks for all the replies, Let me simplify my question:
>
> I need to have my database and derby.properties file under different
> directories, and the derby.system.home points to the directory which
> contains the derby.properties file. And I need to use the relative
> path of the DB since, the Database URL is hardcoded in an XML
> file(I'm using an Object Relational Mapping). Is this achievable?

Unless I am misunderstanding something here: Yes, you can do that by
using a relative database url. The url must be relative to
${derby.system.home} (as long as you have this property set, which you
seem to have).

Here's another attempt to answer your original question, I hope it helps:

If I set the ${MY_PROJECT} environment variable to e.g.
/home/user/projects/myProj, and place the derby.properties file in the
directory ${MY_PROJECT}/conf, I start ij like this:

java -Dderby.system.home=${MY_PROJECT}/conf org.apache.derby.tools.ij

I then create a database as ${MY_PROJECT}/DATABASE by doing:

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:../DATABASE;create=true';

--
John