db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryErrors when testing Derby with DOTS
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:36:08 GMT
derby@segel.com wrote:

>>>So the better question is... do you blame the hammer or the carpenter
>>when he
>>>can't hit a nail straight in to the wood?
>>Who to blame is IMHO not the most important thing if the house falls
>>down on the person who lives there because of this.
> [mjs]
> Again, do you blame the carpenter or the products he uses? (Keep in mind
> that other carpenters are using the same product too. ;-)

I agree that fixing the hammer (in this case the "application" that is
provoking the OutOfMemoryError) would be a good thing in general. But it
is dangerous to assume that all the hammer-producers (application
developers) in the world will always follow the "rules". That is why we
have locks on our doors, airbags in our cars, a huge fence instead of a
small one on top of the Empire State Building, etc., etc.

Now, if fixing Derby so that it is able to handle this particular type
of code will have a huge impact on the footprint, performance or
whatever property of Derby that someone may care about, it is something
that requires a debate. But this does not seem to be the case this time.

> I don't think we disagree at all on this.
> Patches and bug fixes are necessary and I don't consider them to be
> something to increase the size of the foot print.  What I am more concerned
> is the feature requests that we will want to consider. (Sun has their
> agenda, IBM has theirs.)
> Does this make sense?

Yes. In general, everyone has some itches to scratch and desires to
fulfill. But those discussions do not necessarily belong in this thread ;)

View raw message