db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suavi Ali Demir <dem...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: embedded derby -- does it leak
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:41:00 GMT
Hi Jim,

  How much memory did your colleagues start the JVM with when they evaluated Derby?

  Regards,
  Ali

Jim Newsham <jnewsham@referentia.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
 .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }

  Rajesh,

  Thanks for the update on DERBY-756.  Regarding DERBY-912, I recognize that it¡¯s a subtask
of 756, nevertheless 756 is reported as fixed while 912 is still open.  Is 912 expected to
be fixed by v10.2 also?

  Thanks,
  Jim Newsham

---------------------------------

  From: Rajesh Kartha [mailto:kartha02@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:00 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: embedded derby -- does it leak

  Jim Newsham <jnewsham@referentia.com> wrote:
> However, some colleagues have told me that they had evaluated derby in the past (a few
months ago), and that they passed on it after seeing
> memory leak problems which resulted in OutOfMemoryException.

Is there a way to get more details on what type of queries were run when they found the OutOfMemory
exceptions.

DERBY-756 is fixed in v10.2 - http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-756
DERBY-912 is a sub task of the above.

I too have not come across any out of memory issues with embedded, hence am very interested
in knowing the setup where your colleagues
ran into these.

-Rajesh
    On 2/14/06, Jim Newsham <jnewsham@referentia.com > wrote:

  Hi,

  We need to include a database along with our Java-based desktop application, and for deployment/maintenance
reasons, an embedded database would be ideal.  I'm evaluating whether derby will suit our
needs, and so far I really like what I see.  However, some colleagues have told me that they
had evaluated derby in the past (a few months ago), and that they passed on it after seeing
memory leak problems which resulted in OutOfMemoryException.  The application may need to
run for a long time, and may generate a very large amount of data, therefore, a recurring
memory leak is a showstopper.  I wanted to give Derby another look before moving on.

  I looked through JIRA to try to identify bugs related to memory leaks.  I found:

  DERBY-756 (fixed; reported against 10.1.2.1 , but doesn't say which version the fix is applied
to)
  DERBY-912

  I skipped over these because they appear to be client/server (please correct me if I'm wrong):

  DERBY-210
  DERBY-557

  I also browsed the derby-user list, but didn't find anything substantive.  So, on to my
questions:

  How stable, robust, and well-tested is derby?  How often do critical bugs find their way
into production releases (please include "memory leaks" in the definition of critical)?  How
long does it take for bugs such as the above to make their way into a production release,
and when could I reasonably expect these two to be available for production?  Are there other
outstanding memory/leak related bugs which I'm not aware of?  Would you recommend Derby for
my project?

  Thanks,

  Jim Newsham