db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Newsham" <jnews...@referentia.com>
Subject RE: embedded derby -- does it leak
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:24:40 GMT

Rajesh,

Thanks for the update on DERBY-756.  Regarding DERBY-912, I recognize that
it's a subtask of 756, nevertheless 756 is reported as fixed while 912 is
still open.  Is 912 expected to be fixed by v10.2 also?

Thanks,

Jim Newsham

  _____

From: Rajesh Kartha [mailto:kartha02@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:00 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: embedded derby -- does it leak

Jim Newsham <jnewsham@referentia.com> wrote:
> However, some colleagues have told me that they had evaluated derby in the
past (a few months ago), and that they passed on it after seeing
> memory leak problems which resulted in OutOfMemoryException.

Is there a way to get more details on what type of queries were run when
they found the OutOfMemory exceptions.

DERBY-756 is fixed in v10.2 - http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-756
DERBY-912 is a sub task of the above.

I too have not come across any out of memory issues with embedded, hence am
very interested in knowing the setup where your colleagues
ran into these.

-Rajesh

On 2/14/06, Jim Newsham <jnewsham@referentia.com > wrote:

Hi,

We need to include a database along with our Java-based desktop application,
and for deployment/maintenance reasons, an embedded database would be ideal.
I'm evaluating whether derby will suit our needs, and so far I really like
what I see.  However, some colleagues have told me that they had evaluated
derby in the past (a few months ago), and that they passed on it after
seeing memory leak problems which resulted in OutOfMemoryException.  The
application may need to run for a long time, and may generate a very large
amount of data, therefore, a recurring memory leak is a showstopper.  I
wanted to give Derby another look before moving on.

I looked through JIRA to try to identify bugs related to memory leaks.  I
found:

DERBY-756 (fixed; reported against 10.1.2.1  <http://10.1.2.1> , but doesn't
say which version the fix is applied to)

DERBY-912

I skipped over these because they appear to be client/server (please correct
me if I'm wrong):

DERBY-210

DERBY-557

I also browsed the derby-user list, but didn't find anything substantive.
So, on to my questions:

How stable, robust, and well-tested is derby?  How often do critical bugs
find their way into production releases (please include "memory leaks" in
the definition of critical)?  How long does it take for bugs such as the
above to make their way into a production release, and when could I
reasonably expect these two to be available for production?  Are there other
outstanding memory/leak related bugs which I'm not aware of?  Would you
recommend Derby for my project?

Thanks,

Jim Newsham