db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Newsham" <jnews...@referentia.com>
Subject RE: embedded derby -- does it leak
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:20:12 GMT

Michael,

Thank you for your reply.  With all due respect, I don't feel that users of
a database should "assume that there will be memory leaks".

I appreciate that Derby is an open source project, nevertheless it is a
database product, and databases are expected to be robust, whether
commercial or open source.  Database systems manage critical data and run
for long periods of time, so it's not tolerable for a database to crash
after exhausting available memory due to a persistent leak.  Furthermore,
Derby sells itself on being robust and having a small footprint.

If the commercial version (Cloudscape) is the same codebase with some extra
hand-holding, I don't feel we need that for our project.

experienced, I don't have that information yet.  I intend to ask for more
details, but I'm not sure if he still has the code.  I was a little
skeptical when I heard that he had OOME problems, and wanted to poke around
in JIRA a little and get feedback from the community before probing further.

Thank you all for your input.  All further comments are welcome.

Regards,

Jim Newsham