db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DB Tables on separate hardisks
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:40:21 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Well, it's tricky to do symbolic links since Derby creates the tables
> within a directory.  I guess what you could do is create the tables,
> shut down Derby, move the table(s) to a different disk device, create a
> soft link, and start Derby up again.  Hey, that might work! (ever the
> optimist)

Since that's obviously not how Derby is intended to function, don't
assume such tricks will always work in the future. Or even now.

Compress table, rollback of a drop table and other functionality will
all move the files back (I think) to their intended location. In the
future automated space re-allocation work might perform similar renames
on the files.

Dan.