db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Developing a UI for Derby
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:31:08 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Matt Sanford wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I agree a UI is nice when you are trying out new dev libraries.
>> Something so you can quickly evaluate if you want to pursue this or
>> not. Having said that, I think it's a terrible off-topic use of time
>> to build a GUI. Derby is a database, and as such should do one thing
>> and do it very well (even if it is a rather large thing to do). I
>> would suggest that we just solicit someone like Aqua Data Studio
>> (http://www.aquafold.com/) to add us to the first-tier list of
>> databases and point users to that. I only suggest Aqua because it was
>> very recently asked about on this list and confirmed to work and does
>> have a personal/educational license. I am sure there are other options
>> I am not aware of with friendlier licensing that could be made to work
>> well with Derby.
>

> I think both approaches have merit.

Right, all approaches have merit and solve different problems for
different people. There is no one correct GUI for Derby. I can think of
at least five styles:

  Eclipse plugin
  Netbeans plugin (is that the correct term?)
  Eclipse RCP
  Standalone
  Web-based

Then what is the purpose of the tool, administration, database
development, data analysis, etc. Again different needs for different folks.

> I'm delighted to see anyone with energy contribute effort to developing
> a GUI for Derby.

> It's also great for existing third-party products to add Derby to their
> list of supported databases.

+1 to those two.

I would also encourage people to look at what's out there and get
involved. If you have an itch for a good GUI Derby plugin for Eclipse
then look at the existing Eclipse projects, such as Data Tools Project
(DTP), Web Tools Project (WTP) and BIRT. A lot of the basic
functionality already exists there, such as schema browsing etc. Maybe
Derby specific plugins could be added.

>> Or perhaps the Apache DB project should start work on a new GUI
>> outside of the Derby project as part of the maintenance portion of the
>> mission statement.
>

> If somebody wants to champion a completely new GUI project for Apache
> DB, they'd be welcome to speak up. It'd be interesting to see if enough
> volunteer interest could be drummed up to sustain such a project.

As Jean says if someone wants to go for that, that would be great.

Derby's charter currently says "Database GUI tooling and IDEs are not
developed by the Derby project." I would say that any general purpose
database GUI tool does not belong in the Derby project, that would be
better as a sub-project of Apache DB. It's possible that Derby specific
GUI tooling (e.g. admin tools for configuring Derby specific features)
could be added into the Derby charter.

Dan.