db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: Developing a UI for Derby
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:54:21 GMT
I'm working with both Eclipse and NetBeans.

The strength of Eclipse is that it has a lot of database connectivity
already built in and Netbeans IDE 5.0 Beta does not.

Since Sun has announced JavaDB (Their version of Derby), you can expect
tighter Database connectivity within the IDE.

Considering that we're looking at supporting RDBMSs that have JDBC
connectivity and drivers, any enhancements to the IDE could easily be
expanded to include *all* JDBC compliant databases.

(Just need to track and translate the meta data, along with RDBMS specific
features that will need support.)

Actually I prefer the NetBeans Gui for developing Java Apps.

Websphere AD (IBM's enhanced Eclipse) is almost as good. (Haven't played
with the Rational Tools yet. To do so I've got to fork over $2K to IBM as a
BP)

But hey, that's my .02 cents.

-G

  _____