db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Ashwin Jayaprakash" <ashwin...@rediffmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Derby-SQL: Syntax Tree generator?
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:22:50 GMT
Rick, thanks for replying.

Perhaps you meant "-Dderby.debug.DumpParseTree=true" instead of  "-Dderby.debug.true=DumpParseTree"?
But I tried that too and it didn't work. But anyway, I looked into the GenericStatement code
where the Tree was being printed. I realised that was what I wanted to avoid - using the Compiler
Context, connecting to a Database instance etc.

I just wanted to parse the SQL offline.

Also , can Derby be run in a completely non-persistent mode like HSQL? I do not want persistence,
just SQL operations on a few thousand rows in-memory (I know this should've been posted as
a separate question, well..)

Thanks,
Ashwin.

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 Rick Hillegas wrote :
>Hi Ashwin,
>
>I don't know whether anyone got back to you on this topic. I hope that this addresses
your question.

>The DumpParseTree tracepoint causes Derby to print the ASTs to derby.log. You can set
this tracepoint when Derby starts up. Here for instance is how you would do it if you were
running Derby embedded under the ij tool:

>java -cp $CLASSPATH -Dderby.debug.true=DumpParseTree -Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0
org.apache.derby.tools.ij  z.sql

>Regards,
>-Rick
>
>Ashwin Jayaprakash wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>Does anybody know if there is a way to parse and view the AST for an SQL Query in
Derby? I looked at the sqlparser.jj in the source code, but couldn't find a way to start it
and parse a query without hacking into all the code.

>>Some thing like this one: http://www.experlog.com/gibello/zql/ ?
>>
>>I am especially interested in extending the SQL grammar a little bit by adding a few
keywords and re-writing some queries issued by the user. So,  some kind of a Visitor-pattern
would be nice.