db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryErrors when testing Derby with DOTS
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:55:07 GMT
Hi Dan,

On Jan 31, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>

>> There's no guessing, if the application has a reference to an open
>> JDBC
>> object then it is still using it. If it no longer has a reference
>> to a
>> open JDBC open then it is no longer using it and Derby must garbage
>> collect it.
>
> I could have worded that last bit better.
>
> If it no longer has a reference to a open JDBC open then it is no
> longer
> using it and Derby must allow it to be garbage collected and
> release any
> of its resources during its garbage collection.

This is possible but can be tricky to implement. You need to be
careful inside Derby to only keep soft references to the result sets
and statements in order to allow the GC to work. And any use of the
soft reference needs to be guarded so as to avoid NPE. And there is
probably work to do when GC notifies you that the reference is going
to be collected.

But even with soft references, you still have the issue of a huge
number of unique statements that have been compiled. And unless you
create a new class loader for each statement, you will have a huge
number of classes in memory.  I looked at the DOTS source code and it
is generating a huge number of unique statements that differ only in
the itemID (that is part of the SQL not a parameter).

[So how does Derby clean up the dynamically compiled classes?]

I also verified that the DOTS code only closes statements that
execute successfully and return at least one row of data. So the
"failed" statements are never closed. And there is no try{...}
finally {...} to close result sets in case of exceptions.

Maybe the fact that this code is now 3 years old since any
maintenance is part of the problem.

Regards,

Craig

> Dan.