db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Roger Keays <roger.ke...@ninthavenue.com.au>
Subject Re: single file database?
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:39:15 GMT

> If a developer uses Derby for storage this
> would get cumbersome.  Zipping the derby DB
> directory is one approach, but that
> complicates application saves, crash recovery,
> etc.

That is what I had in mind. I read the Derby already offers read-only
access to zipped files so thats already half way there right?

OOo uses a similar approach with its file format. The hsqldb jdbc driver
is modified/extended to use an alternate IO stream which reads and
writes to and from the compressed file. I don't have the source in front
of me but from memory it works something like that.

Roger

Ninth Avenue Software
p: +61 7 3870 8494 (UTC +10)
f: +61 7 3870 8491