db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Incorporating the new derby logo into the web site
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:56:51 GMT
Hi Jean,

On Dec 21, 2005, at 7:57 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> We voted for more than just the one version of the logo with the
> text. In any event, that specific logo is great for the Derby
> documentation, but it's too wide for web site display. The screen
> shot at http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12321496/
> web-preview-20dec05-2.png doesn't show what it looks like when you
> expand/reduce the browser window. The image displayed on the web
> site needs to be more narrow.
>
> I'm looking at Susan's variation and I believe it very nicely
> encapsulates what Roger did in a more narrow space. --I'll post a
> screenshot of what that looks like.
>
> We could of course, simply use the hat without any wording at all:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12321265/
> logo_320x200.png . However, that particular image is too large for
> the web site, so thus requires resizing. I don't believe that
> resizing it creates a new variation.

I agree that resizing it proportionally does not create a new
variation of the logo.

> In other words, we should modify the variations of the logo Roger
> donated under the ASL as needed to fit a particular purpose. I
> don't believe that adding text to the logo fundamentally changes it.

I don't agree. Removing some legally offending text from the logo
might be seen as not changing it, but changing the font and bold
characteristics does change it IMHO. If we're filling a box in a web
page, it's a logo.

Could we ask Roger if he's willing to spend a bit more time putting
Apache Derby with the hat into various form factors that can be used
for these purposes? Do we have a list of aspect ratios that are needed?

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!