db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Deepa Remesh <drem...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apache derby with CDC/JSR 169
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:03:06 GMT
On 12/22/05, Timothy Luksha (RIT Student) <tjl6426@rit.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been working on setting up a derby database in an embedded
> environment. We have CVM as our java virtual machine and have the optional
> JDBC package installed. I created a little program that uses
> EmbeddedSimpleDataSources to create a database and insert a few entries. I
> am able to run this on my pc with the 1.3 jvm with the JDBC package. When I
> attempt to run the same program on the CVM, I get a null pointer error. Is
> the 10.1.2.1 binary that is available for download built to be used with the
> cdc and jsr 169?

Yes, Derby 10.1.2.1 has support for CDC/Foundation Profile with JSR 169.

> The error I receive is below. Any insights would be
> helpful.
>

> /mnt/newjava/bin/cvm
> -Xbootclasspath:/mnt/newjava/lib/cdc_jdbc_classes:/mnt/Luksha/db-derby-10.1.2.1-bin/lib/derby.jar:.
> runner

<snip>

I think you are getting this error because derby.jar is specified in
the bootclasspath. If you put derby.jar in your classpath and specify
only JSR 169 classes in the bootclasspath, this problem should not
occur.

something like this for your environment...
"
export classpath=/mnt/Luksha/db-derby-10.1.2.1-bin/lib/derby.jar
/mnt/newjava/bin/cvm -Xbootclasspath:/mnt/newjava/lib/cdc_jdbc_classes runner
"
In general, any jvm classes (java.*, javax.*) have to be specified in
bootclasspath. It is recommended to avoid putting any application jars
in bootclasspath.

Hope this helps.

Deepa