db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Legolas Woodland <legola...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to select a random record.
Date Mon, 26 Dec 2005 08:41:58 GMT
Rajesh Kartha wrote:
> Maybe there are other ways to perform this, but the first thing that
> came to my mind was to create a
> Java stored procedure.  This can use simple Java code to create the
> logic needed and return
> a result set from the products table based on the categories and a
> generated random number.
>
> Syntax for creating procedures:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/ref/rrefcreateprocedurestatement.html
>
> Example:
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0408anderson/#cs_sp
>
> Hope the above helps.

Thank you for the help.
Does it bring an overload to my server ?
it is possible generate a random number (based on incremental record ID)
and select that record , but it has a big draw back , what will happen
if the generated number record was deleted ? should i issue another
select and so on.
SQl server has a very neat solution for this

SELECT TOP 1 someColumn
    FROM someTable
    ORDER BY NEWID()

this sql will return a random record. i need something like this  , if
it is possible.

Thank you again.