db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Incorporating the new derby logo into the web site
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:50:06 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2005, at 7:57 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> We voted for more than just the one version of the logo with the text.
>> In any event, that specific logo is great for the Derby documentation,
>> but it's too wide for web site display. The screen shot at
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12321496/web-preview-20dec05-2.png

>> doesn't show what it looks like when you expand/reduce the browser
>> window. The image displayed on the web site needs to be more narrow.
>>

> I realize this isn't the best solution, but couldn't we put the current
> logo in a fixed <div> as-is? And maybe swap the Derby and DB logos. Yes,
> that means one of them flows off screen while the rest of the website
> fits in the window width. But I wanted to point it out as another
> possible option.
>
> I just attached a version of the logo with the logo text at the current
> size, but rearranged to make it more
> narrow: http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12321510/derby-logo-move.jpg
>
> I can also resize and adjust this text however you like, and I think it
> keeps more to the spirit of Roger's original submission to retain the
> typeface and use of bold text. I could make this prettier by reducing
> the size somewhat and right aligning the text, but I thought I would run
> this first version by you to see if that was sufficient, and to get your
> feedback on using a fixed <div> for the logos on the page (with either
> logo.)

if you could figure out a way to make a fixed <div> work in forrest,
that would open up another option -- I don't see how to make that work.

The best strategies so far seem to be:

  - keep the image narrow enough to fit
  - move the search box from the mast head to the nav bar on the left,
which fortunately turns out to be easy to do

-jean