db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Incorporating the new derby logo into the web site
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:26:16 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>>In other words, we should modify the variations of the logo Roger
>>donated under the ASL as needed to fit a particular purpose. I don't
>>believe that adding text to the logo fundamentally changes it.
>

> I guess it depends, I was thinking more along the lines where the very
> look and feel of the text is part of the logo/brand, not just something
> alongside it.
>
> For example with Mazda, the logo is the "wing M" but the font/style
> of the text is integral to the brand.
> http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayHomepage.action
>
> Maybe Nike is more a logo where the image is everything (the swoosh),
> and the text Nike can be in different fonts.

Roger's variations seem to be focused on the *hat* . The button
variations do have DERBY in them, but the font is different from the one
used for
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12321023/derby_with_text.jpg
.

-- but I'll let Roger speak for himself.

> I do think that a variety of Derby logos with different text is not a
> desirable thing. Basically it reduces the impact of the logo, so that it
> is not instantly recognized, due to the subtle changes.

So maybe we need to enter a second phase here of designing the text to
go with the hat?

> Of course, I don't have the skill to modify images so maybe I should
> just stick to the code. :-)
>
> Dan.
> Ps. the feather comment was tongue in cheek.

well, I wouldn't protest if somebody wanted to add a feather -- they'd
just need to make sure they had the talent to do so. I sure don't!

Here's the screenshot that incorporates Susan's variation that splits
"Apache Derby" across two lines:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12321508/web-preview-21dec05-5.png

And here's a screenshot that uses just the hat and nothing but the hat:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12321509/web-preview-21dec05-6.png

  -jean