db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Incorporating the new derby logo into the web site
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:12:47 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> In other words, we should modify the variations of the logo Roger
> donated under the ASL as needed to fit a particular purpose. I don't
> believe that adding text to the logo fundamentally changes it.

I guess it depends, I was thinking more along the lines where the very
look and feel of the text is part of the logo/brand, not just something
alongside it.

For example with Mazda, the logo is the "wing M" but the font/style
of the text is integral to the brand.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayHomepage.action

Maybe Nike is more a logo where the image is everything (the swoosh),
and the text Nike can be in different fonts.

I do think that a variety of Derby logos with different text is not a
desirable thing. Basically it reduces the impact of the logo, so that it
is not instantly recognized, due to the subtle changes.

Of course, I don't have the skill to modify images so maybe I should
just stick to the code. :-)

Dan.
Ps. the feather comment was tongue in cheek.