db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ClassCastException in CountAggregator
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:29:19 GMT
edson.richter@mgrinformatica.com.br wrote:

>Thank you all for the tips.
>
>Before giving up using derby, I have: 1) checked for older versions. No, there are none
(in
>real, I tried a fresh install of Tomcat). I double checked $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext, and
>tryied including install a new version of JDK (I was using 1.5.0_04 and made a try with
>1.5.0_06 - no differences).
>I tryied a simple JSP that take a connection from the pool and executed a simple select
>count(*) from some_table and error is the same.
>
>Interesting is that I tryied Ij, and the error didn't occured.
>But, Ij is not using pt_BR messages, and I suspect error is related (but then I give up:
>could not spent more than a couple of hours without sucess searching on the net - I searched
>Google, MSN, Altavista). db.apache.org was unavaliable yesterday, and I could not search
>mailing lists.
>
>So, without web support (even from the list), I could not defend Derby anymore in the
>project, and manager directed all development to a comercial database, unfortunatelly.
>
>At all, thank you... But don't forget to check what could be wrong - there is a serious
>erro/bugr in there.
>
>Details:
>
>- Tomcat 5.5.9 embedded in NetBeans 5.0 Beta 2
>- Tomcat 5.5.7 embedded in NetBeans 4.1
>- Connection obtained with 'jdbc:derby:c:/projects/biblio/database' (it's embedded) -
Plain
>queries works fine (select * from some_table)
>- Aggregate count throw ClassCastException (select count(*) from some_table)
>
>Connection declaration:
>
><Resource auth="Container" description="Biblio" name="jdbc/Biblio"
>type="javax.sql.DataSource" username="" password=""
>driverClassName="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
>url="jdbc:derby:c:/projects/biblio/database;" maxActive="10" maxIdle="2"/>
>
>Here is stack trace:
>
>08/12/2005 16:29:24 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher invoke
>SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
>ERROR 38000: A exceção 'java.lang.ClassCastException:
>org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.CountAggregator' foi emitida ao avaliar uma expressão.
>        at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
>        at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.unexpectedUserException(Unknown
>Source)
>        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.GenericAggregator.getAggregatorInstance(Unknown
>Source)
>        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.GenericAggregator.initialize(Unknown Source)

......  SNIP ...

Hi Edson -

Could you help me setup a test case for this problem?  It would be great
if  you could provide a test case for the problem and file a JIRA entry
with the test case attached (please let me know if you can do this).  It
sounds, however, that you are working to a tight timeframe so I am
willing to attempt to create a test case but need some additional
information.
I have not used NetBeans but know a bit about JSPs with Tomcat.  Could
you post the information I will need to perform the test you describe as:

".. I tryied a simple JSP that take a connection from the pool and
executed a simple select count(*) from some_table and error is the same .."

Here are the things I can think of that will be very helpful:
+ Having the JSP code would be very helpful - would you post it?
+  I need to know how the connection pool was defined (what entries were
placed in server.xml, the application deployment XML file and the
web.xml file).
+  If there any other settings needed to setup the connection pool in
the Tomcat/NetBeans environment please include those also.

I have located another report of this stack trace when performing
'select count(*)' in a different server that did not seem to relate to
codesets so I am hoping that  pt_BR is not required to debug this problem.

Thanks in advance