db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Why are classpath databases always read-only ?
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:42:41 GMT
Michael Segel wrote:
> On Saturday 10 December 2005 4:15 pm, Thomas Dudziak wrote:
>
>>On 12/10/05, Michael Segel <derby@segel.com> wrote:
>>
>>>So, coding is now ugly?
>>
>>No, it simply should not necessary in this case, configuration would
>>suffice. And I would have to code it whenever I want to have this
>>functionality, so I would have to come up with solutions for, say,
>>Spring, for EJB, for Hibernate, etc. etc. etc.
>>

>>>Perhaps you should learn how to code rather than configure?
>>>Or am I now a dinosaur ;-)
>>
>>Or perhaps you should learn to be a bit more polite ?
>>
>>Tom
>
> Polite?
>
> Perhaps if you were more polite in your statement, you would get a more polite
> response from me. ;-)

Michael,

I find nothing impolite about Tom's statement, and I do find the
statement that he (or anyone else) should learn how to code presumptuous
and impolite.  Besides, resorting to personal jabs tends to detract from
the validity of any technical opinions that are stated.

Helpful email guidelines are here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

On another Apache list Karl Fogel recently posted a link to this book
"Producing Open Source Software" -- http://producingoss.com/ . It has an
excellent writeup on setting the tone for lists -- everything from
making sure that discussions happen on list to nipping rudeness in the bud:

http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/setting-tone.html

I recommend his book highly.

regards,

  -jean