db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby Tutorial available for new users
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:15:18 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> The ApacheCon "Apache Derby Hands On Tutorial" was cancelled because
> not enough people registered. On the bright side, I put the lab
> materials here:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/index.html
>
> I modelled it after the Torque tutorial at
> http://db.apache.org/torque/releases/torque-3.2-rc2/runtime/tutorial/index.html
>  , which I thought was really well done.
>
> any feedback is welcome.

I read through the tutorial, and I thought it was excellent!
Very concise and to the point, with lots of examples - which I think is
basically what a new user is looking for in a tutorial.

Right now, the only place I could easily see a new user getting "lost"
is if he/she wants to use the Network Server with a non-default port
and/or accept connections on other interfaces than "localhost".

I see you refer to the "Derby Server and Administration Guide" on
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals, but IMHO this is too vague, given
the number of questions we get about that (i.e. finding information in
the manuals, or problems caused by using "localhost" in the connection
url instead of 127.0.0.1, 0.0.0.0, etc.) on this list.

--
John