db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oyvind.Bakk...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Why are classpath databases always read-only ?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:18:56 GMT
>>Maybe you could explain how this would work? Are you assuming that the
>>war/ear file is always unpacked into the local file system? Is that
>>guaranteed for a J2EE server?
>

> No I cannot assume that, but if (and my guess it should be possible to
> determine where a resource loaded from the classpath came from, e.g.
> whether the URL contains a jar: protocol) then this would work. And if
> not, it can obviously not be written. But for servlet containers like
> Tomcat and Jetty, one can ensure that the web app is unpackaged before
> it is started.

Even if the web app is exploded, are you sure that the web app has write
access to the directory to which the servlet container has exploded it?
I'm not saying it doesn't, I just wouldn't be surprised if some
container didn't want the contents of that directory to change.

I don't think using an absolute path to the db is awfully ugly as long
as it can be configured, e.g. as a context-param.

--
Oyvind Bakksjo
Trondheim, Norway