db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ClassCastException in CountAggregator
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:27:21 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

>A full exception trace (from derby.log) would help. I have not seen this
>kind of error for this usage...
>
>Satheesh
>
>Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>

>>Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:
>>

>>>I solved my problem not using derby :(
>>>Appear the list is more interested in voting logos, than solving
>>>critical bugs.
>>>

>>Your frustration is understandable -- it must have seemed like Derby
>>was doing nothing else today but looking at logos.
>>
>>I suspect the real reason for silence on the issue you posted was
>>nobody immediately recognized the problem given the information
>>provided. The turnaround for a given problem often depends on if
>>someone has encountered it or something similar before.
>>
>>Did you try running the same query in ij? and did it get the same error?
>>
>>regards,
>>
>> -jean
>>

>>>Richter

Hi -
Some time ago I encountered similar inexplicable ClassCastExceptions
that stemed from having multiple versions of derby classes loaded.
Check to be sure that the only file containing Derby classes in your
Tomcat system is the derby.jar file in $JAKARTA/commons/lib (check the
webapp WEB_INF/lib directory too).  If I recall correctly my problem
resulted from trying to have two versions of derby available in a single
server by renaming the jars derby100.jar and derby101.jar.  The server
loaded classes from both jarfiles that 'stepped on each other' resulting
in casting and security violations while processing internal
manipulations (like aggregation).

Hope this helps