db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Derby and Hibernate?
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:41:32 GMT
FYI, there was an interesting article in the Register yesterday about
Hibernate.

I'm pretty sure that there are a "couple" of people using Hibernate on this
list.

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how many people are using Hibernate
and Derby

(Please send me an e-mail, don't post a reply to the list.)

I am curious because if you took advantage of the meta data provided by
JDBC, Hibernate seems inefficient.

(Maybe it is for the simple example that they used.)

Since the article used an extremely simplified example, single table with a
couple of columns, how does hibernate stack up when you have a more complex
real world example like an invoice?

The example I am thinking of is creating an "invoice bean" where you have
your customer information coming from the customer table, order header
information from the order_hdr table, and then the order detail coming from
the order_dtl table (one to many relationship with order keyed on the
order_id column).

In this example, you'd want to use at least a vector to represent the order
detail lines since you can have 1 to n  different items in an order.

Many moons ago, (like 5 years ago), I solved this problem by creating a set
of database object classes (two actually) that the business objects could
extend or instantiate.

Just trying to figure out any advantage to Hibernate over writing a couple
of simple classes and then taking advantage of JDBC's meta data.

Again, please e-mail me instead of replying to the list.

TIA!

-M