db-derby-user mailing list archives

From de...@segel.com
Subject Derby and Hibernate?
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:36:11 GMT
All,

Just FYI, there was an interesting 2 part article published about Hibernate.
(www.theRegister.co.uk) [going from memory but I'm sure most of you have the
link already...]

I was curious.... How many people are using Hibernate and Derby?
(Please respond via e-mail because I don't want to clog this list)

Also for those of you that are using Hibernate, the article gave a very basic
example.

I am curious how Hibernate will function in a more real world situation.

For example, what would happen if I wanted to create an invoice bean?
You'll have data coming from a customer table, order_hdr table and then
order_dtl table.

What would the xml code look like, representing 1-n rows of detail data?
Or does Hibernate force you to create an object class for the detail rows?

Many moons ago, (like 5 years or so...), I had to create a method of pulling
and mapping RDBMS data to objects and what I came up with was pretty
efficient. Trying to grok the need for hand writing XML code when you can
create a litterally a couple of smart object classes and then either subclass
them or create a wrapper around them to achieve the same thing that hibernate
does.

So what am I missing?

Again, please *E-MAIL* your response since its slightly off topic and I don't
want to add noise to the list.

TIA!

-Mikey