db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Samer Kanjo" <sa...@kanjo.net>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Apache Derby logo
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 05:53:42 GMT
IMHO: A derby is a hat and most people, I think, know that. I don't really
mind if the representation of the hat is technically a derby or technically
some other hat or a hybrid.

If you want to get technical based on the following link you provided...

http://www.villagehatshop.com/mens_fur_felt_wool_classics.html

Take a look at the 2 kinds of fedoras: Jaxon Diamond Crown Fedora and
Borsalino Beaver Fedora. The brim of the Jaxon looks more like a derby while
the other Fedoras do not. It looks to me like there is already confusion in
naming hats based on their physical attributes. If hat makers can't work it
out, who will?

-Samer

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Hall [mailto:derby@opxn.net]
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 6:39 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache Derby logo

On Dec 3, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> My vote is for 10. Nice, clean, Escher-esque in the sense of not
> quite possible but visually interesting.
>
> Craig

Maybe I'm wrong, but #10 looks more like a fedora than a derby, which
might violate a Red Hat trademark. A derby has a distinct rigidity,
making it flat across the bottom, with a narrow brim rounded slightly
up all around, optionally higher on left and right than front and
back. Fedoras are less rigid. If #10 were more obviously a derby/
bowler, I'd vote for it.

To see the differences...
http://www.villagehatshop.com/mens_fur_felt_wool_classics.html
http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/CTGY/derby_bowler_hats