db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Cloudscape Database Size limitation
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:15:52 GMT
that has been posted to comp.lang.java.databases as well.

aixunix@gmail.com writes:

> Does anyone know cloudscape database size limitation? Any documentation
> states the relation between cloudscape database size and performance?

For Derby (open source Cloudscape) I don't think there is a limitation
(other than those imposed by OS, jvm, available memory and disk). I
have seen it run with 10 GB, and I believe IBM is planning on testing
with up to 100 GB.

To get performance with a large database you may need to adjust the
pageCacheSize (the default is only 4MB).

The tests I have seen indicate that Derby performs better (relative to
other dbs) the larger the database is.

(I have cc'ed my reply to the derby-user mailing list, where more
derby experts are likely to see it. You can subscribe to and browse
this (and other) mailinglist at

View raw message