db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: How to use Unicode with derby ? does it supports unicode text ?
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 13:21:18 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> writes:

> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

[...]

>> What's your locale? I think Derby gets problems with unicode when
>> LC_ALL (or LC_CTYPE) is invalid.
>
> Are there Jira entries for these problems? I'm not sure what could be
> going on, because Derby's use of Unicode is through Java and independent
> of any local setting (at least for the engine).

No, I don't think it is in JIRA. I don't remember the details, but I
once experienced that non-ASCII characters were saved on disk (both
log and db) as the UTF-8 replacement character (which means "unknown
character" and is often printed as '?'). Unfortunately, I'm not able
to reproduce it now, and it might just have been an issue between my
terminal and ij, not a Derby issue.

--
Knut Anders