db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: "conglomerate does not exist" error
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:07:01 GMT
Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk@gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/9/05, Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> In the directory where your database directory is there should
>> be a file called derby.log and in it will have the part of the
>> stack I am looking for.
>>
>> Since it works in ij - it seems like the db is good - which was the
>> problem I was going to look at. It seems like there must be some set up
>> issue with your web server, hopefully someone with more experience in
>> that area can help out.
>
> Ah, yes, I found it, it landed in the eclipse root folder (I start
> Tomcat from within Eclipse), but contains nothing interesting:

> 2005-11-09 22:13:43.008 GMT:
>  Booting Derby version The Apache Software Foundation - Apache Derby -
> 10.1.1.0 - (208786): instance c013800d-0107-7717-4a97-0000001ed0d0
> on database directory classpath:/derbydb
>
> Database Class Loader started - derby.database.classpath=''
>

> Restarting the webserver without ij running, consistently generates
> the "conglomerate" error. I also checked that it has nothing to do
> with Eclipse, and started tomcat via the startup script, and I get the
> same error.
> So somehow, ij 'fixes' the Derby instance so that I can use it
> afterwards, which is IMO quite strange.

Just a wild guess: Starting ij in Eclipse sets derby.system.home to
the directory where the database is located, hence the database is
found. In the other cases derby.system.home is set to its default
value (current working directory), which is not where the database is
located.

You can check whether this is the case by changing the connection URL
from 'jdbc:derby:derbydb' to 'jdbc:derby:/full/path/to/derbydb'.

--
Knut Anders