db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Henrik Johansson" <hen...@vocab.se>
Subject SV: Is Hibernate inappropriate for embedded databases?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:15:34 GMT

I tried JBoss Embedded which uses Hibernate for a small test
and it worked like a charm with Derby.

Using Hibernate alone (or with JBoss Embedded) seems to be a
very good idea in my opinion for all sorts of reasons.

Too bad its seemingly not production ready...

Hibernate alone would be clever since it is very well tested and
there is no idea to reinvent the wheel.

/ Henrik

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Michael McCutcheon [mailto:michaelm001@frontiernet.net]
Skickat: den 18 november 2005 05:33
Till: Derby Discussion
Ämne: Is Hibernate inappropriate for embedded databases?

I'm still struggling to figure out if I should go with strait JDBC,
stored procedures or something like Hibernate for my data access/update
in my web app running on Tomcat.

I've been looking at Hibernate, and it seems that it's claim to fame is
all of the fancy caching it can do to speed performance.

However, doesn't derby itself cache data in memory (once the data is
accessed)?

If the caching functionality in Hibernate is used for an embedded
database, doesn't that just mean that the data will be cached twice
(once in derby, once in hibernate), resulting in memory bloat and
potentially worse performance?

Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Mike