db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Question about using URLClassLoader and Derby
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:55:11 GMT
Hi David,

Sorry, I don't know the details of stored procs in Java. I'd have to
look at the stored proc code to see what assumptions it makes about
where the Java class is. There are many possibilities that make
sense: use Derby's class loader; use the context class loader of the
caller; create a new class in Derby's class loader from the byte
stream that represents the stored proc class.

My comment below had to do with user-domain classes that are stored
in Derby as objects...

Craig

On Nov 9, 2005, at 2:33 PM, David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Thanks, Craig.  One comment below...
>
> Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi Kathey,
>> The approach looks good. More comments below.
>> On Nov 9, 2005, at 9:14 AM, David W. Van Couvering wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Kathey.  At first glance it looks good to me.  I'm assuming
>>> *all* classes your app needs are available to the from the URL
>>> you specify, because you are not specifying a parent classloader
>>> when you create it.
>>>
>> As I understand it, the only classes that need to be available via
>> the special classloader are the Derby implementation classes and
>> its dependencies. JDBC is a pretty good abstraction layer that
>> uses pass-by-value semantics not pass-by-reference semantics, so
>> as long as you're not using user classes inside your database you
>> should be ok.
>>

> Hm, user classes may be used in stored procedures, right?
>

> <david.vancouvering.vcf>

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!