db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Pedro Nevado" <pnev...@javato.com>
Subject RE: Derby and Hibernate , where i can find derby Dialect for hibernate
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:17:10 GMT

Try not to flush the session before the transaction commit, and see what
happens.
Regards,
Pedro Nevado

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Chas Douglass [mailto:chas@floogle.net]
Enviado el: lunes, 21 de noviembre de 2005 17:13
Para: derby-user@db.apache.org
Asunto: Re: Derby and Hibernate , where i can find derby Dialect for
hibernate

I am using Derby 10.1.1 with Hibernate 3.0.5.  I simply uncommented the
"Not supported!" and it works pretty well.

The problems I've documented on the Wiki are that the CreateSchema tool
tries to use "if exists" when deleting tables, and "bit" type is not
supported, both of which the CreateSchema tool generates.

Running the pair I have issues, but I still don't know if they are
Hibernate issues or Derby-implementation-in-Hibernate issues (or even
whether they are simply my lack of understanding of Hibernate).

The problem I find is that Hibernate does not automatically discover
changes to linked tables (where Java Collections are contained within a
primary object) unless the primary table is also changed.  I found I
have to use a "session.flush()" prior to every "transaction.commit()",
otherwise the commit is emitted, then the subordinate table updates are
sent when the session is and they are never commited.  Again, perhaps I
just don't understand Hibernate, but to me the docs read as if I
shouldn't have to do that.

At any rate, it seems to work fine with these caveats.

Chas Douglass