db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCutcheon <michaelm...@frontiernet.net>
Subject Re: Derby with beans and null primitives
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:38:01 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> Michael McCutcheon wrote:
>
>> I'm implementing a utility class that populates 'beans' with data
>> from tables in derby.
>

> Aren't you sort of re-inventing the wheel? It seems like there are a
> lot of libraries already out there which do this already. Surely
> it would be easier to just use an existing library?
>
> Try Google-searching for strings like JDO, Hibernate, Castor, etc.
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

Yes, I have heard of these, but there is a HUGE learning curve to
these.  What I need to do is fairly simple and does not require a
complete 'persistence solution'.  I just need to populate beans from
resultsets and need to know how to handle null database integers with
java primitives.

How does hibernate do this?

Returning 0 will not work because 0 is different than null.

Thanks

Mike