db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Submitted new logos
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:06:22 GMT
Michael Segel wrote:
> Hopefully the artwork that some of these logos are based on are in the
> public domain. If you lifted another's copyrighted work and then modified
> it, you're on murky ground.

It's always good to discuss this important issue. One of the reasons
we're using Jira for logo submission is uploading a file prompts the
submitter to check a bullet that says "Grant license to ASF for
inclusion in ASF works (As per the Apache Software Licnese)". And here's
  wording from  http://db.apache.org/derby/logo_contest.html :

   "The only logos that will be considered are those for which the
license has been granted to the ASF. But only grant the license to the
ASF if you are entitled to do so. Don't include any elements to which
you don't have rights or permission."

I'll move that wording into the description at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-297, since that's where the
main action is.

  -jean