db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how i can extract one element of DATETIME field in sql and use it ?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:39:35 GMT
Legolas Woodland wrote:

> Hi
> Thank you for reply.
> i get one field for each of a DATETIME element in my table.
> it means that i have : year , month, day , hour, minute, second .
> i do this to be able to use each element in my queries. i find that in
> Oracle it is possible to extract each of those elements in sql
> commands and use them.
> now my question is how i can do the same (using a datetime and then
> access to each of the element) in derby ?

Hi -
Derby uses the TIMESTAMP datatype to store date and time values.  There
are built-in functions that can be used on a timestamp value to return
the portions you list.  The complete list of functions can be found at:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/ref/rrefsqlj29026.html

The functions you need are the names of elements you list:  YEAR, MONTH,
DAY, HOUR, MINUTE, SECOND