db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: ON UPDATE CASCADE in derby
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:44:57 GMT
Vasja Pupkin wrote:
> Is there any chance to implement such statement in derby?
>
> CREATE TABLE A (
>     ax INTEGER NOT NULL,
>
>     PRIMARY KEY(ax)
> );
>
> CREATE TABLE B (
>
>     bx INTEGER NOT NULL,
>
>     FOREIGN KEY (bx)     REFERENCES A (ax)
>     ON UPDATE CASCADE -- can't make this work
>     ON DELETE CASCADE
> );
>

> P.S. I found this working in HSQL, M$SQL, PostgreSQL... but not in
> debry :(

I checked the "Referential actions" section of
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/ref/rrefsqlj13590.html . Choices
for the ON UPDATE rule include NO ACTION and RESTRICT -- CASCADE isn't
supported for update; it looks like it is only supported for delete. I
checked Jira and didn't find that anyone has requested this yet, so feel
free to log an enhancement request for ON UPDATE CASCADE support. Jira
tips are at http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html .

regards,

  -jean