db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: table locking
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:24:52 GMT
Derby uses row locking by default, can you please explain why you
think it is table locking.  Derby does get table level intent locks,
to enable the row locking feature - so for instances when updating
a row in a table you will get a table level IX and a row level X, but
another transaction will also be able to get a table level IX and a
row level X lock on another row.

There are situations depending on isolation level and lock escalation
where real table level locks are requested, not sure if you are running
into that.  More information is needed.