db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCutcheon <michaelm...@frontiernet.net>
Subject Is Hibernate inappropriate for embedded databases?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 04:32:38 GMT
I'm still struggling to figure out if I should go with strait JDBC,
stored procedures or something like Hibernate for my data access/update
in my web app running on Tomcat.

I've been looking at Hibernate, and it seems that it's claim to fame is
all of the fancy caching it can do to speed performance.

However, doesn't derby itself cache data in memory (once the data is
accessed)?

If the caching functionality in Hibernate is used for an embedded
database, doesn't that just mean that the data will be cached twice
(once in derby, once in hibernate), resulting in memory bloat and
potentially worse performance?

Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Mike