db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Derby and portability
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:33:53 GMT
Michael Segel wrote:

> On Thursday 17 November 2005 11:31, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Jean,
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear.
>
> Yes, I am well aware of what an Open Source project entails.
> (Apache vs GPL ... etc...)
>
> My point was that even within an Open Source environment, there can still be
> coordination amongst contributors and how to establish guidelines for
> assessing severity and assigning volunteer resources to tackle the problem.

I think you are missing the point that volunteers are volunteers,
there's no "assigning volunteer resources", that's a contradiction in
terms. If someone wants to fix a low priority bug while there are
hundred high priority bugs, that's great, it's one more bug fixed for
Derby. It could be that person's first step on the road to being a Derby
committer, it could be a committer finding ten minutes to fix a trivial
issue, doesn't matter, all contributions are appreciated.

Dan.