db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Derby and portability
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:11:35 GMT
Michael Segel wrote:
> In order to "fix" issues, there has to be some concensus on some design
> decisions. For example, if you're going to modify the "ALTER TABLE" command,
> you have to consider a couple of things. Cascading the change, how to handle
> NULLs and Constraints. Order of precedence between containers and data...
>
> So who makes these decisions? Are they always taken to a vote?
> (Design by committee?)

As http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html mentions, the Derby
community follows the DB PMC project guidelines:

http://db.apache.org/guidelines.html

Not everything requires a formal vote. Sometimes lazy concensus is
sufficient.

> Its not a question of demanding that something gets fixed.
> Its a question of establishing a common way of assigning priority as to what
> should be addressed. Or an approach to a design.

Anyone who wishes to participate in the Derby development process is
welcome to subscribe to derby-dev@db.apache.org.

> As to volunteering? Sorry, unlike a couple people here, I'm not paid to play
> here. ;-) I've got to earn my salary and my clients' needs come first.

Whether you volunteer or not, it's still helpful for you (and others
subscribed to derby-user) to understand how Apache works.

  -jean