db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Derby and portability
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:31:44 GMT
Oyvind.Bakksjo@Sun.COM wrote:

> I know developers want to create applications and deploy them with
> pre-built databases on multiple platforms. For them, just the fact that
> "it seems to be working today" isn't good enough - they need a statement
> that this is a Derby feature they can rely on.
>
> Then they won't end up calling something a bug just because it doesn't
> behave the way they think it should. (They would call it a bug since it
> violates the Derby charter. ;o)

As you say in the first paragraph, database portability is a *feature*
of Derby and thus it should be in the documentation (DERBY-711, thanks
Jean).

Since it's a feature, I wouldn't expect to be in the charter, I think
that's too much detail. I would say that it's a feature that is in line
with the current charter:

"Derby technology is written in Java to take advantage of Java’s write
once, run anywhere promise".

The databases, through java, are run anywhere.

Dan.