db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question about using URLClassLoader and Derby
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:03:12 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

>Binod.Pg@Sun.COM wrote:
>

>>BTW, where would your application run? I am assuming it is outside of
>>any managed environment like application server.
>>

>In an ideal world, I would like to be able to specify all the properties
>for a Derby engine (rather than a database) during some explicit startup
>phase. For example, in a J2CA environment it could (portably) be done
>during bootstrap of the ResourceAdapter; in Eclipse or Maven it could be
>done as part of plugin initialization; in JUnit it could be done during
>fixture initialization. This could also be used by the standalone
>network server to start its embedded engine.

This might be reaching too far, but in playing with this this week,
(before hitting the error log show stopper)
I was thinking that rather than just providing samples on how to load
Derby in a classloader, it  would be really
nice to offer some  sort of API to make it  really simple to load derby
given an URL[]   and an easy way to get
DataSources from it.  Might  it  be possible to integrate this  into
your  an API somehow, perhaps with a set method
that takes the URL  string specification of the directory where Derby
is  installed and a DataSourceFactory that is
initialized with  the server instance?

Kathey