db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question about using URLClassLoader and Derby
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:58:21 GMT
Binod.Pg@Sun.COM wrote:

>BTW, where would your application run? I am assuming it is outside of
>any managed environment like application server.

Well, probably the farthest I might take a practical implementation
myself  is to make some upgrade tests for Derby, but I want to provide
an example of how to load Derby in a ClassLoader so that  a component
that embeds Derby can run in any environment  without
interference or interfering others.   For example,  lets say my
component  was something that you could embed in your application to add
a  dictionary capability.  I'd like you to use my component, be able to
use Derby however you want to,  and be able to run in any environment at
all without even knowing that I use Derby.  I also want to make sure the
dictionary API  always uses the derby jars that I shipped and used for
my QA.

I think the System properties can  create  a  problem  for application
servers too that might want to allow connection to different versions of
Derby.

Kathey